Dear Special Olympics New Mexico Friends & Family,
After careful consideration, we have made additional decisions regarding the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) on our organization and community. In abiding to guidelines from the CDC, the state of New Mexico, and Special Olympics, Inc. (SOI), Special Olympics New Mexico will adhere to the following guidelines through May 31:
- Cancellation of all sports training (practices).
- Cancellation of all competitions including area qualifying competitions and the State Summer Games.
- Cancellation of all fundraising activities that involve mass gatherings of more than 10 people, including New
Mexico Law Enforcement Torch Run (NMLETR) fundraising activities.
- NMLETR will continue to hold online fundraising campaigns and partner with local businesses deemed essential by
the state of NM, unless updated otherwise.
- Unified Champion Schools® activities and events will continue to abide by their associated school district’s decisions until further notice.
- The SONM State Office (Chapter) staff will work remotely until directed otherwise. Our office is accepting mail but is not operating under normal business hours at this time. If you have questions or need assistance please email the appropriate staff member utilizing the staff contact list on our website.
We do not take this situation or these decisions lightly, and our staff is working together alongside Special Olympics North America (SONA) and SOI to create virtual resources and opportunities to engage with our Special Olympics athletes and community. The virtual resources will focus on health and fitness while adhering to physical distancing guidelines. While we cannot provide an exact date, we plan to update our website and our Facebook Page (@SpecialOlympicsNM) as soon as possible with the resources mentioned above.
We will continue to monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19) at the state and national level, and we will remain in contact with all SONM Area Directors, Local Program Coordinators, and coaches to communicate additional updates.
Please share this messaging with your delegations and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions.
Randy Mascorella, Executive Director